Slider

Sunday 16 September 2012

Choosing A Driving School (Part 1)


A friend of mine actually runs a driving school on the Isle Of Wight. If he wasn’t so far away I would probably go with him, although knowing my luck I’d probably drive the car through the wall of Parkhurst Maximum Security Prison causing all the inmates to escape and cause havoc on the island and it would be all my fault. Unfortunately the Solent necessitates that I choose a driving school closer to home, preferably one that will pick me up from my house. I did, however, phone my contact on the IOW for some advice when choosing a driving school, as I felt it would be useful to have a few pointers from somebody in the business. Here are a few points:

1. Check that your instructor is a fully qualified ADI (Approved Driving Instructor). According to him, a lot of schools use trainee ADIs, that is, people who are studying for their ADI license and therefore NOT FULLY QUALIFIED. Do you really want to learn from somebody who is still learning themselves??



2. Find a driving school you can trust. This may sound like an obvious one, but first impressions count. You can get a good feel for a company just by how they answer the phone, whether they are polite, you can understand them clearly, and they are able to answer any questions you may have.

3. The cheapest driving schools are the cheapest for a reason. They have to lower their prices to attract people to the school because they aren’t selling their lessons. And they obviously aren’t selling their lessons because they aren’t that good. So shop around. Do your research. After all, you will be giving this company a lot of money, so it pays to know that you are getting your money’s worth.

4. Steer clear of block bookings. While they may seem like the most convenient options and quite often they also give you a discount, you are putting yourself at risk of finding out two or three lessons into the course that your instructor doesn’t arrive on time, misses your lessons, or simply doesn’t know his gearstick from his walking stick. 

Sounds like good advice to me.

5 comments:

  1. Very good site. It is important to choose the right driving school so all of the above tips will help you to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the views, I have just taken the admission in a driving school and am eager to obtain the license as soon as possible. I am sure these tips will help me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Mark! Perhaps the best thing that you can do is your homework. I know you usually hear this and maybe tired of hearing it again and again, but this is definitely the most efficient way to find a driving school. In my case, I always do a background check on the driving school’s professional affiliations and achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choosing the right driving school can be a tangle before any learner. People seek driving class for various reasons. For beginners it may be the desire to achieve an entry level license where as practice drivers need a solution to the vexing problem of clearing the accumulated demerit points coming from bad driving.

    Driving Schools A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need given us with like large choices of tips driving school near me prices

    ReplyDelete