Slider

Friday 14 September 2012

Why I'm An Uneasy Rider

Today I thought I'd share with you all why I decided to call my blog "Uneasy Rider". Obviously this is a reference to the film "Easy Rider" (one of my favourites of all time) which is also what inspired me in my teenage years to buy a motorbike.



I only ever got to ride it once, for about fifteen seconds. Unfortunately for me I had had no training so not everything went to plan. Basically I got up to a bit of speed, panicked, and crashed it into a low wall, smashing my right knee in the process. On reflection it was a pretty stupid thing to do. The worst part was that I had to cover it up from my father, who would have gone berserk if he'd even discovered i'd been on the back of a motorbike, let alone bought one AND crashed it within the first fifteen seconds of driving it. I stashed the battered up bike in a friend's garage and had the fun experience of limping home and sitting down to eat with my knee in excruciating pain, trying my best to convince my folks that I had injured it playing soccer.

The charade didn't last for long though, as a few days later my friend's dad rang my dad to ask when I was going to "pick up my bike out of his garage" as he needed to free up space. So naturally my dad hit the roof. The next day he went and picked up the bike himself, took it downtown and sold it, while I dragged myself onto the bus to the hospital to get my knee x-rayed. So that was the end of my motorcycle dream. When I went back to college, my friends had kindly given me the nickname "Uneasy Rider", which stuck.

I always thought I would get myself another motorbike one day and try again, but you can't exactly carry a pushchair on the back of one. So now I guess it's time to find a driving school. I have been busy doing my research in between feeds and nappy changes and have found a few in my local area which should cater to a completely inexperienced (and nervous) driver. I have narrowed the search down to three possible candidates which I'll tell you about in my next post. Choosing a driving school is harder than it sounds. There is a lot more to take into account than you would expect, as you'll find out next time...

1 comment:

  1. Haha great story about the bike ... hope you have a better luck on 4 wheels ... nice blog

    ReplyDelete